The Listuguj Police Department (LPD) oversees all aspects of public safety with the enforcement of the Canadian Criminal Code of Canada, the Québec Highway Code, including the enforcement of Band by-laws within the community, and other statutes of the Indian Act.
The LPD’s pro-active approach to public safety allows the department to play a key and active role within the community. In the area of community support, the LPD provides year round educational and awareness campaigns on a number of important safety issues. For example, the LPD actively works with the community at events such as: Bus Safety, Halloween Safety, the Bike Rodeo, and the Safe Touch Program.
The department is active at the provincial and national levels, addressing the need for adequate resources and providing First Nations’ perspectives on policing issues.
Services we provide
- Respond to emergency calls
- Antidrug Campaigns
- Collaborate with LMG Directorates for safety and security initiatives
- Canine Unit (Dog control)
- Safety inspection checks
- Ancillary services with surrounding municipalities and Sûreté du Québec
Working with First Nations’ Policing Agencies
At the provincial and national level, the Listuguj Police Department advocates for the concerns and policing issues in Listuguj. By working with other First Nation policing agencies, there is an opportunity to ensure that our First Nations’ perspectives on policing issues are heard.
- We are an active Member of the Association of First Nations Chiefs of Police Québec (FNCPQ)
- Active Member of the First Nations Chiefs of Police Association (FNCPA). This national level association serves First Nations police services across Canada, developing professionalism in a manner that reflects the unique aspirations of First Nations. Click here to navigate to the FNCPA website.
- Active Member of the Policing with Aboriginal Peoples Committee. This is a Canadian Association that brings together major stakeholders from twelve agencies across the country (among others, includes First Nations police services, Royal Canadian Mounted Police and the Sûreté du Québec). Listuguj represents Eastern Canada on this committee.
The Listuguj Police Department will provide policing services and carry out its policing duties with honesty and integrity to the Community of Listuguj.
- The prime focus of the department will be protection of people and property, crime prevention, crime detection, apprehension of offenders and traffic safety.
- The department will deliver a Community Based Policing Service and developing a cooperative relationship with the community will fulfil this.
- The department will discharge its duties in a manner sensitive to and consistent with the needs, customs, culture, and rights of the Listuguj Mi’gmaq.
- The achievement of the goals set out in this statement will be the undertaking of each and every member of the department.