Atlantic Policy Congress of First Nations Chiefs Secretariat (APC) is seeking to hire an Administrative Assistant to support the Human Resources/Operations Dept. The position will work out of the APC Head Office Complex located at 153 Willowdale Drive, Dartmouth, NS.
The position is responsible to assist in coordination of meetings, workshops and seminars. In addition, the position relies heavily on confidentiality, good organizational, communication and interpersonal skills. The candidate must demonstrate an ability to work independently when required, however; is also easily adaptable to coordinate with others on projects.
Who can apply?
• The successful candidate must possess a recognized diploma or certificate in office/administrative management/assistance (an acceptable combination of recent related work experience and education will be also considered);
• 1-3 years recent experience working as an Administrative or Office Assistant;
• 1-3 years’ experience working for a First Nation government, business or organization;
Abilities & Skills:
• The candidate must demonstrate an ability to work independently as well as part of a team;
• Highly organized, able to work with minimal supervision and meet deadlines;
• Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills;
• Must possess excellent interpersonal skills;
• Build effective relationships and represent APC in a professional manner at meetings or
• Must have an extensive knowledge of Mi’kmaq and Maliseet communities, organizations,
culture and traditions.
Essential Functions and Duties:
• Provide administrative support to the Director of Operations, Executive Assistant, Director of
Finance and Legal Advisor;
• Provide confidential HR support to Staff as directed by Director of Operations;
• Prepare purchase orders and follow recommendation and approval process;
Act as a back-up for the Receptionist when required;
Distribute and collect biweekly payroll forms; track all employees’ leave – sick, vacation,
personal etc. and report to staff regularly on leave updates; ensure that all employee leave
information (forms, approvals, etc) are received and included in hard copy HR records;
regularly review all employee HR files to ensure all appropriate documents, policies (signed) are included and kept up to date; Photocopying, filing, faxing, payable mail-outs; Classifies, sorts, files and retrieves correspondence, records and other documents as requested; Coordinate calendars, book travel itineraries and maintains associated records for staff; Initiates, composes and accurately types correspondence and administrative documents according to established guidelines; Edits for content, context, accuracy, consistency and the use of proper spelling, grammar and punctuation; Send out notices for Personnel and Audit and Finance Committee meetings, prepare meeting agenda, prepare meeting packages, take minutes, circulate draft minutes to members (amend if necessary) and include final signed versions of minutes in minute book; set up interview board for job competitions – contact interviewees, prepare interview board packages, conduct reference checks (if required); Maintains good rapport within the organization, First Nations communities and the general public by being courteous, cooperative and conscientious;
Assess filing needs and maintain well organized and accessible filing and record keeping systems;provide input into development and implementation of central filing system;
Ensure that Sharepoint and webpage are up to date as requested by supervisor;
Assist in creating performance review templates as directed by Director of Operations;
Ensuring Job Descriptions are updated to reconcile with the Performance Reviews;
Assist in developing job postings & advertisements for employment opportunities.
•Start date, salary & location:
The position starts May 1st, 2012. Salary to be determined based on qualifications and experience. The location of this position will be at our Cole Harbour Reserve Office (Dartmouth, Nova Scotia) office.
If you are qualified and want to become part of the APC team, please email, your cover letter, resume and three (3) professional references (in Word or PDF format) in confidence by 12:00 p.m. Atlantic Standard Time, Friday, April 20th, 2012 to the attention of Rhonda Wiley, Executive Assistant (please quote APC competition # 2012-03- 03 in cover letter.)
No applications accepted beyond the closing deadline. If all qualifications are equal, preference will be given to persons of Aboriginal ancestry. While we appreciate the interest of all applicants, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please. No interview or relocation costs will be provided. Position is dependent upon funding.